Bamboo fabrics is an especially good material for yoga sportswear because:
- Bamboo fabric has a natural sheen and softness that feels and drapes like silk but is less expensive and more durable.
- Bamboo doesn’t pill, fade, bobble or stretch – perfect for yoga clothing which is constantly in the washing machine!
- Because of the smooth and round structure of its fibres, bamboo yoga clothing is softer and stronger and non-irritating, even to sensitive skin.
- Bamboo is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal supposedly because of a bateriostatis agent unique to bamboo plants called “bamboo kun” which also helps resist harbouring odours.
- Bamboo clothing is hypoallergenic.
- Bamboo is highly absorbent and wicks water away from the body 3 to 4 times faster than cotton. In warm, humid and sweaty weather, bamboo yoga clothing helps keep the wearer drier, cooler and more comfortable and doesn’t stick to the skin.
- Bamboo clothing is naturally more wrinkle-resistant than cotton, and while it might still require ironing after washing, bamboo fabric can be ironed at a lower temperature than cotton. Shrinkage during washing and drying is minimal at warm temperatures.
- Bamboo fibres and fabrics absorb dyes faster and more thoroughly than cotton, modal and viscose therefore they have better colour clarity.